Appian Job Applicant and Talent Community Privacy Notice
Personal Information We Collect
During the recruitment or registration process, we will collect information about you – either from you directly or from third parties with your approval – which may include the following:
- identifying and contact information, such as your full name, email address, physical address, telephone number, date of birth, government identification number, and other contact information;
- professional and employment information, such as a resume or CV, a cover letter, other work experience, professional references, your work-permit status, your social-media profiles, or other information about your professional background;
- educational information, such as your school history, your qualifications and certifications, and any other information related to your education;
- citizenship information, such as your visa and right-to-works status;
- if you interview with us in person, we may collect additional information such as your image recorded on video cameras in our work spaces;
- information received from third parties, such as the results of a professional-reference check or background check, and the information we receive from someone who refers you for a position;
- sensitive information you voluntarily provide during the recruitment process, such as demographic information or information about your gender, race, ethnicity, and disabilities, but only when permitted under applicable laws;
- publicly available information that helps us make a determination about your candidacy, such as information from your social media profiles; and
- any other information you choose to submit to us as part of your application.
How We Use Personal Information
We only use the information we collect about you as part of our application, recruitment and registration process in order to:
- Create and maintain your profile in the Talent Community;
- evaluate your candidacy or application to make an employment decision;
- verify the information submitted or collected;
- manage our relationship and communicate with you;
- comply with any of our legal requirements; and
- make improvements to our recruiting processes.
How We Share Personal Information
We may share your personal information with the following recipients:
- We may share your personal information with the service providers who help us with our hiring and registration process, including third party applicant-tracking software and talent-acquisition services.
- Depending on your location, we may share your personal information with members of the Appian HR, Recruitment and related teams who are based in other countries, including the US.
- If requested, in order to perform employment verifications and professional-reference checks, we may share your personal information with your current and previous employers, as well as the individuals you list as references.
- We may be required to share your personal information with governmental agencies or public bodies, such as labor authorities, courts, or law-enforcement agencies.
- Finally, we may share your personal information with any other third party you have given us consent to share it with.
We have put in place security measures to prevent your Personal Data from being accidentally lost, used, altered, disclosed, or accessed without authorization. We also allow access to your Personal Data only to those who have a business need to know such data. They will only process your Personal Data on our instructions and they must keep it confidential.
We have procedures in place to deal with any suspected Personal Data breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a breach if we are legally required to.
After your application, if your candidacy is unsuccessful, you decline our offer, or if you withdraw your application, we will retain your PI only to consider you for potential future positions at Appian, and as long as needed to comply with any applicable laws or for the establishment, exercise, or defense of a legal challenge related to our recruitment process or decision.
If you register for Appian’s Talent Community, we will retain the PI contained in your profile for as long as your profile remains active, plus a period of two years, in case you wish to return to us or to consider you for potential future positions at Appian.
If you do not want us to retain your personal information to consider you for potential future positions, you may request that we delete it as described below. Please note, however, that we may retain some information that we are required to retain by law or in order to defend ourselves in the event of a legal claim.
If you are offered and accept a position with us, your personal information will become part of your employment record.
Supplemental Notice for the EEA, UK, and Switzerland
- If you are a candidate from the EEA, the UK or Switzerland, please note the following additional details about the PI we process subject to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and UK GDPR:
- Unless otherwise stated in a supplemental notice, Appian Inc. is the data controller of your personal information.
- Purpose and Legal Basis. We collect and process your personal information for the purpose of considering your candidacy for employment with us or in order to comply with our legal obligations. Our legal basis for doing so is either where you have consented to such collection, or based on our legitimate interest to ensure that we hire the best candidates.
International Data Transfers
- We are subject to the provisions of the General Data Protection Regulation that protects your PI. Where we transfer your data to third parties outside of the EEA, the UK or Switzerland, we will ensure that certain safeguards are in place to ensure a similar degree of security for your PI. As such:
- We may transfer your PI to countries that the European Commission have approved as providing an adequate level of protection for Personal Data by; or
- We may transfer your Personal Data to affiliates or service providers who are established outside of the EEA, the UK or Switzerland, using Standard Contractual Clauses or certification mechanisms approved by the European Commission which give PI the same protection it has in Europe.
If you are not happy with any aspect of how we collect and use your data, you have the right to complain to the relevant supervisory authority for data protection issues in your country of residence. We would be grateful if you would contact us first if you do have a complaint so that we can try to resolve it for you. A list of EEA data protection authorities is available here, and the contact details for the UK Information Commissioner’s Office is available here.
Changes to this Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice may be updated from time to time to reflect changing legal, regulatory or operational requirements. The date at the bottom of this notice indicates when it was last revised.
It is very important that the information we hold about you is accurate and up-to-date. Please let us know if at any time your Personal Data changes by submitting a request through our Privacy Portal (https://portals.appian.com/privacy). The Privacy Portal can also be used to request that we delete your personal data.
Published: November 30th 2023