5 Mental Health Resources We Provide to Support Our Employees
My name is Jamie Blechman and I’m the Senior Benefits Specialist on the Total Rewards team at Appian. I’m based out of our Northern Virginia headquarters and looking forward to celebrating my 5-year Appian anniversary coming up later this year!
I’m excited to share some insight into what I do at Appian, and most importantly, how one of our affinity groups, AppianWellness, supports the mental health and well-being of our employees worldwide.
At Appian, my core responsibilities on the HR team focus around the day-to-day administration and management of our global employee benefits/wellness offerings. In addition to my role in HR Benefits, I have been President of AppianWellness for the past 3 years and I can confidently say it has been one of the most rewarding and challenging experiences in my career to date.
When COVID-19 struck in early 2020 and remote work became the new normal, AppianWellness had to quickly shift gears to virtual-only events/initiatives. We had to focus on bringing our creative minds together to come up with engaging, interactive, and informative content for our members and employees alike. The three pillars of AppianWellness are Physical, Mental, and Whole-life wellness, but the one that we really want to hone in on for 2021 is mental health. Mental health has been a hot topic in Workplace Wellness this past year, with the pandemic taking a toll on our emotional well-being.
As a COVID-19 survivor, I personally have come to understand the effects of the pandemic which have impacted our physical health, mental health and well-being. It’s important to be aware of this from an organizational perspective as we continue through these trying times. With that in mind, AppianWellness is hosting its first-ever Mental Health Awareness month in May for all employees to partake in; with emotional wellness, self-care, mind/body balance, education and motivation being the key focus. From educational workshops, to de-stressing with art classes, to live sound bowl meditations and mindfulness AcuPresent sessions, the goal of these experiences is to recognize your mental state, promote motivation and engage mind, health, and spirit.
Mental Health/Wellness Resources
Aside from Mental Health Awareness month, our company provides various global Mental Health/Wellness Resources to support our entire workforce and their families year-round.
A few examples include:
1. Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provides in-person/virtual emotional and work-life counseling visits at no cost to employees and their family members, in addition to, unlimited phone support 24/7 for professional help with everyday issues like job pressures, relationships and retirement planning, to highly impactful issues like grief, loss, or a disability.
2. Wellness Reimbursement for various physical and mental/emotional wellness expenses to support overall work-life balance such as meditation and mindfulness app subscriptions, classes, sports lessons, personal trainer, etc.
3. Holistic Well-being Program provides professional live-stream and on-demand video classes on a weekly basis for all employees, such as Yoga for Stress Management, Calming Mindful Meditation to Let Go, Cardio & Strength for Resilience, Making Lifestyle Changes, Unwinding Stretch & Meditation, and Mindful Eating, uniquely designed to support participants with the three key pillars of wellness: Movement, Mind Health and Nutrition.
4. Unlimited Virtual Visits for Behavioral Health issues available at no cost, 24/7.
5. Meditation Program started and run by our very own Appian employees every week! 10–15 minute live guided meditations held twice a week in a safe and welcoming virtual setting, open to all — regardless if you may be new or seasoned to the practice of meditation.
I am a firm believer that mental health and self-care are top priorities with everything going on today. I am proud to work at a company like Appian where we have access to comprehensive resources such as those listed above for our employees in an effort to promote better work-life balance, greater resiliency, and improve overall health and wellness.
While we can’t all be working together in-person just yet, we are all always finding ways to stay connected and support each other during these unprecedented times. I look forward to what the future may bring to enhance and bring new resources to Appian.