Here at Appian, we’re passionate about automation, speed, and efficiency; and the CIO department is a great place to apply these values! From Information Security, Business Technology, to Solution Engineering, joining Appian will provide you with the opportunity to lead technical strategy, execution and communication for all applications to support Appian employees, customers, and partners across the world. Join us, as we work collaboratively to grow Appian across the world.
Appian is looking for a Senior Application Engineer to develop large-scale applications that support internal Appian employees around the world. In this role, you will become an expert on our software; from implementing business process applications to working with cutting edge technologies such as artificial intelligence and robotic process automation. If you’re searching for an opportunity that will allow you to create meaningful software solutions while working closely with business stakeholders in a fast-paced agile environment then you should consider joining us! As a member of our talented and over-performing central applications team, your contributions will immediately impact and always make a difference.
This role is based at Appian's Headquarters in McLean, VA. Employees hired for this position will have the opportunity to work in a flexible, hybrid environment.
To be successful in this role, you will need to:
- Design, develop and implement custom software solutions using Appian’s platform—including everything from modeling database schema, to building out user flows, to creating UI mockups.
- Gather requirements and analyze internal stakeholders' business needs and processes to develop corresponding technical solutions that provide an intuitive user experience.
- Build and invoke web APIs to integrate various systems that are used across the organization, such as: Google AI, social media platforms, HR management systems, finance systems, etc.
- Work on projects independently or with a small team depending on the complexity and scope of the project. Mentor and provide technical leadership for junior application engineers.
- Triage and troubleshoot production issues and provide ongoing support to various business applications.
Some of the tools and resources we will equip you with:
- Highly visible, impactful opportunities: the applications created by this team influence the business in a very visible manner, and application engineers are often recognized for their contributions! Plus, this is a fast-paced agile team environment with very little red tape—your ideas could quickly and easily turn into impact.
- Immersing you into our community rooted in respect starting on day one. Our community is strong and growing! Appian affinity groups are a great place to start connecting with peers from all across the globe.
- A wide variety of growth and development opportunities such as: Appian product training and Appian certification sponsorship, our in-house Appian MBA program for new managers, Appian University which is a full library of over 3,000 LinkedIn Learning and Udemy courses, Presentation Skills training, and tuition reimbursement for those seeking to further their education.
- Unlimited (flex) PTO, hybrid working arrangement, and flexible working hours.
- BS in Computer Science or related technical / engineering degree
- 3-5+ years of job experience in application development, software development or related fields.
- Experience with relational databases (MySQL or similar) including designing data models and/or entity relationship diagrams (ERDs) for business use cases
- Proficiency with programming languages, preferably in an OOP language such as Java, C++, C#, etc.
- Experience developing integrations using REST APIs
Nice to have:
- Exposure to developing applications on a low/no-code solution
- Experience formally or informally in an agile role: e.g. running scrum ceremonies, leading breakdowns, etc.
Before Appian was a company, it was an idea. Not about a product or a market, but about the culture needed to sustain innovation and value. Today, we help businesses build apps and workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform.
Appian was founded on the belief that talented and passionate people, given the power and autonomy to excel, will deliver amazing impact. We have worked thoughtfully to create an inclusive, agile and collaborative work environment where employees feel challenged, and all voices are heard. We value and encourage cross-departmental collaboration, and actively seek opportunities to better ourselves and others. Creating impact to us means that when we deliver results, we’re focused on lasting positive change.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination .
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at ReasonableAccommodations@appian.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.