Principal Product Designer, Customer Success
As a Product Designer at Appian, you will work as part of innovation teams and delivery teams to help our clients solve challenging problems and create compelling experiences. In this role you will be involved in all parts of the design and delivery process, including: user research, brainstorming, concept development, prototyping, working with developers, running tests, adjusting design based on real world feedback, and monitoring production usage and value of our applications.
Why is this role important to Appian?
Appian is a low code platform that can be used to solve critical business problems and achieve strategic opportunities. Our customers are many of the biggest and most successful companies in the world. Solving their problems creates great benefits and value for our customers and our customers' customers. Solving these problems requires great design.
As a Principal Product Designer you will
Design interactive experiences on the Appian platform through prototyping, storytelling, alignment diagrams, process design, and interface design. You will work as a member of an innovation team that uses design thinking-based engagements to diagnose critical business and co-create a compelling vision of Appian solutions. You will also collaborate with agile development teams to guide and influence application design. A non-exhaustive list of responsibilities includes:
- Research users and their problems - work together with multi-disciplinary teams that include delivery managers, developers, product managers, and stakeholders on different projects to become subject matter experts on the project’s users and the problems they encounter. Learn and document user’s motivations, triggers, aspirations, and goals. Give equal priority to user experience as customer value.
- Participate in ideation phases; be creative, spot opportunities for breakthrough ideas and concepts. Seek analogous sources of inspiration, and bring inspiration back to our design teams and client partners
- Design and Prototype - develop first drafts of a solution for users; use many different tools and methods for the discovery and ideating processes.
- Build applications - continuously collaborate with product managers and/or Product Owners, developers, SMEs, and end users. Participate in all phases of the application lifecycle from discovery, to delivery, through adoption. Sit together with Delivery managers, customers, and developers building the product.
- Test with our users - test ideas and designs. Write and evaluate well articulated hypotheses using various test methodologies, including A/B testing, surveys, interviews, and pilots.
- Iterate - use feedback and test results to inform changes and ensure that our solution will solve problems when we launch.
- Shape Customer Success’s design discipline across Appian globally by sharing with, and learning from, other interaction designers.
- Mentor and advise other Appian designers and developers.
Relevant experience, mindset, and traits
You have 4+ years of working experience in designing digital products and bringing them from ideation to implementation. You bring experience building and using prototypes to test assumptions and collect feedback on a design direction. You are highly collaborative, and maintain a mindset of curiosity and openness when working across teams and functions. You practice curiosity by asking questions, learning through secondary research, talking to experts or others not like yourself, requesting feedback from others, and seeking out other perspectives. You enjoy working directly with customers and end users. You are comfortable learning and working within the Appian platform knowing all product design must ultimately be realized in Appian’s low code platform using Appian/SAIL implementations. You are willing to travel up to 40%.
Additional details are as follows:
Your experiences likely include the following:
- Fluency in prototyping and experience with different tools such as AfterEffects, Keynote, Figma, etc.)
- Interaction design leveraging underlying conceptual models (e.g. domain models), task flows, and control layouts to manipulate those concepts
- Designing navigation
- Usability testing
- Creating alignment diagrams (customer journey maps, service blueprints, experience maps, mental model diagrams, spatial maps and ecosystem models) to illustrate aspects of an individual's experience, build empathy with users, and increase understanding of actual customer needs.
- Using visualizations and story-based design to provide a shared big picture to help drive consistency in action; bring focus on points that matter in a complex problem space; reveal opportunities; communicate complex ideas effectively and efficiently, and tell compelling stories.
- Product discovery techniques, including: alignment diagrams, storyboards, user interviews and user research, sketching, storyboards, prototypes, experiments, value hypothesis and concierge testing, demand testing
- Studied topics related to Experience Design, Interaction Design, Human Computer Interactions and/or worked in roles such as Digital Product Designer, UI/UX Designer, Interaction Designer, or Visual Designer
It would be a bonus if you have
- Run product discovery workshops/engagements
- Experiences with lean experiments and testing techniques such as customer discovery interviews (most commonly problem interview), solution interviews, comprehension testing, smoke tests (most commonly with landing page or video), concierge tests, Surveys design and analysis, split or A/B testing.
- Evaluative Experimentation (evaluating a well articulated hypothesis) - Evaluative methods: surveys (closed), smoke tests (landing page, video), sales pitch, flyers, fake door, clickable prototypes, usability, analytics, surveys (NPS, product/market fit), discovery testing techniques (testing feasibility, usability, value, business viability)
Appian helps organizations build apps and workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform. Combining people, technologies, and data in a single workflow, Appian can help companies maximize their resources and improve business results. Many of the world’s largest organizations use Appian applications to improve customer experience, achieve operational excellence, and simplify global risk management and compliance. Our employees create opportunities to drive hands-on impact both with our customers and throughout the organization, which creates an environment where meaningful work is met with career growth and opportunity. As a result, we are proud to have been recognized as a Washington Post Top Workplace for seven consecutive years. Simply put, we are changing the way businesses operate and our employees are to thank for Appian’s success.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination .
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at ReasonableAccommodations@appian.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.