MySQL/MariaDB Database Administrator
As a member of the Cloud Database Deployment Team, you will be responsible for the deployment, configuration and maintenance of numerous MySQL and MariaDB instances. You will ensure that thousands of customer database instances are available and maintained completely automatically without any human interaction. You will work alongside DBAs to recommend and implement changes to the deployment and the configuration of the databases. You are required to maintain and enhance existing test suites with emphasis on paying attention to details. You will also be responsible for the High Availability deployments with multiple instances clustered together in leader/replica topology and automatic failover of failed nodes. You will maintain the outageless upgrade of these databases to provide 24/7 availability. You will also develop monitoring frameworks to ensure continuous operation of the databases and early detection of issues before they become bigger problems.
As Appian continues to enhance its offerings, you will research and recommend changes to the database deployment architecture. You will investigate solutions based on docker and kubernetes and lead the implementation of the next generation offering.
What is Appian? Appian is a low-code application platform that lets businesses rapidly build powerful cloud and mobile apps with flexible, visual models instead of clunky custom code. Appian provides full stack automation, uniting humans, bots, and AI workflows. Appian's philosophy of "Data Anywhere" gives our customers the flexibility to integrate data from multiple systems into a single user interface without requiring data migration. All of these differentiators rely on the power provided by the underlying software components that this position will guide and shape from a requirements perspective.
What you’ll do
- Develop scripts to automate everything.
- Implement monitoring and alerting capabilities.
- Be responsible for the operation and maintenance of 2000+ MySQL/MariaDB instances.
- Troubleshoot database problems (e.g performance, high availability and failover), develop tools to expedite resolution of problems (e.g. recover failed instances), and recommend solutions to prevent problems occuring in the first place.
- Work with DBAs to enhance and solidify the database deployments.
- Research and evaluate technologies to adopt into our technology stack.
- Learn/grow your DBA skills.
- You are an efficient and elegant coder, ideally with 5+ years of strong experience.
- You are well versed in unix operating systems and have deep experience with scripting languages such as bash, python, perl, etc
- You are familiar with higher level languages such as Java, C#, Kotlin, etc
- Automation is your principle. You strive to automate all deployment tasks.
- You are detail oriented, you analyze problems from all aspects and ensure no line of code is deployed without complete and thorough testing.
- You have a working knowledge of Docker and related technologies.
- Familiarity with MySQL, MariaDB, and high availability concepts is a big plus.
- Familiarity with AWS is desired.