Here at Appian, we’re passionate about technology. We love making it, and we love using it. Joining Appian Engineering will provide you with the opportunity to learn in an environment that values cross-functional collaboration and is committed to personal and professional growth. We want to revolutionize the way people work, and in doing so, we develop the Appian platform to be simple so our customers can thrive.
As a Lead Product Manager, you will drive the vision for how we can best continuously improve the productivity of our engineering department. You will help guide our department towards the ideal CI/CD workflow, enabling us to continuously merge and deploy high quality code fast. You will use a data driven approach to ensure we have a degree of confidence that our code not only works as intended, but is maintainable, scalable, and achieves the intended impact. You will guide our Product Owners, provide executive-level communication, and work directly with development teams to assess and prioritize the current and upcoming needs of the organization, specifically what we can do next to help achieve our mission, and own the prioritized product backlog to ensure your team delivers high-quality software with each and every iteration.
This position will be specifically internally focused -- with strong customer implications -- responsible for the core development, testing, and deployment tools and services on which our engineering department operates. This also includes systems we use to make sure we have necessary visibility to ensure high confidence in our product quality and engineering’s productivity. This position is for you if you have experience with and a passion for the following: automated testing systems, build tools, data warehousing and visualization, tools and services that enable CI/CD - anything that helps create a more efficient and productive engineering department.
Appian is headquartered in the McLean, Virginia area, and we are supportive of both Remote and Hybrid work environments.
To be successful in this role, you need to:
- Be an experienced product manager
- Get excited about the thought of helping an already strong engineering department get even better by providing them tools, services, and insights
- See the value in providing the right insights to the right people so they can make more effective, data-driven decisions
- Understand the value of cutting edge infrastructure technologies, CI/CD workflows, and automated testing strategies and are eager to help us improve the productivity of our engineering department
- Have strong communication, negotiation, and collaboration skills and enjoy working closely with your end users, in our case the engineers in the department right around us
- Be a trailblazer and change maker with experience with behavior change approaches; you like driving users to do what is best for them, making them more productive and efficient
- Be exceptionally imaginative, collaborative, and truly excited about building great product features and experiences while working closely with a team of developers
- Most importantly, you are passionate about developing scalable, maintainable, and impactful software!
What you’ll do:
- Lead and advise the Product Owners for the teams in the Engineering Productivity group, as well as provide hands-on Product Management for one or more of these teams. Engineering Productivity teams have 4-6 developers and focus on different missions to increase productivity across the department.
- Prioritize what these teams should build and when by collaborating with leaders across engineering
- Provide executive-level communication about the impacts of the Engineering Productivity group
- Share ideas and receive feedback on new features through presentations with key stakeholders
- Define how those features will work and look through close collaboration with engineers in design sessions, mockups, UX review, and usability testing
- Manage the release and sprint backlog through planning, backlog grooming, development, and review
- Write detailed specifications
- Drive to impact by tracking adoption, usage, and cost
- Oversee documentation, prioritization of bugs and enhancements, and impact analysis
Some of the tools and resources we will equip you with include:
- Within your first few weeks of joining us, you will attend new hire orientation along with our 2-day engineering bootcamp to ensure you are set up for success
- Access to over 1,000+ Udemy course, along with dedicated learning time to focus on areas you specifically would like to focus on as a programmer
- An agile-led work environment where you will be challenged and your ideas will be heard
Basic qualifications :
- B.S. in Computer Science or related field
Preferred Experience Level :
- 8+ years of overall experience, preferably 5+ years in a Product Manager role.
Before Appian was a company, it was an idea. Not about a product or a market, but about the culture needed to sustain innovation and value. Today, we help businesses build apps and workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform.
Appian was founded on the belief that talented and passionate people, given the power and autonomy to excel, will deliver amazing impact. We have worked thoughtfully to create an inclusive, agile and collaborative work environment where employees feel challenged, and all voices are heard. We value and encourage cross-departmental collaboration, and actively seek opportunities to better ourselves and others. Creating impact to us means that when we deliver results, we’re focused on lasting positive change.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination .
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at ReasonableAccommodations@appian.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.