Here at Appian, we’re passionate about technology. We love making it, and we love using it. Joining Appian Engineering will provide you with the opportunity to learn in an environment that values cross-functional collaboration and is committed to personal and professional growth. We want to revolutionize the way people work, and in doing so, we develop the Appian platform to be simple so our customers can thrive.
As a Product Security Engineer, your mission is to ensure that our customers can trust our platform with their most sensitive business processes and data. You will play an important role in defining and implementing strategic, technical, and operational objectives of the Product Security program at Appian. You will help establish industry-leading security processes and practices at each phase of the software development lifecycle; design, implement, and review the security features of our platform; assist product management with the prioritization of critical security-related activities; organize educational initiatives and materials.
Appian is headquartered in the McLean, Virginia area, and we are supportive of both Remote and Hybrid work environments.
To be successful in this role, you need:
- Be part of a cross-organizational squad responsible for the development and maintenance of Appian’s Product Security program
- Develop processes and automation for security reviews and testing activities, and evaluate application security tools to improve our detection and prevention capabilities
- Mature Appian’s DevSecOps pipeline by modifying and improving the existing current tooling
- Participate in functional and technical initiation and design activities to incorporate effective threat modeling, security standards, and best practices into product design
- Perform web and mobile penetration testing as well as secure code review
- Assist in implementing an engineering-wide Security Champions program
- Expand the Appian Bug Bounty program and increase researcher engagement
- Assist in managing the Appian 3rd party assessor relationship
- Build and improve processes on the Product Security Engineering squad
- Help lay out the security architecture and operational roadmap for the Appian platform and our Engineering organization
- Participate in strategic activities to evangelize security objectives and ensure their appropriate consideration in product and operational planning
- Provide cloud native security oversight to Appian
- Research enterprise security and privacy standards and best-practices to ensure we apply them in our application security design and remediation processes, justifying departures and innovations to them where appropriate
- Educate team members and all engineers on application security standards and best practices, establishing regular educational activities, as well as recommending and attending appropriate training and conferences
- Assist in our vulnerability remediation efforts by establishing effective triaging of bug findings and security scans, coordinating Engineering’s response, and guiding teams through the implementation of fixes
- Report and escalate urgent threats/issues to Engineering leadership
- Contribute to Appian's long-term documentation through publishing relevant, high-quality content to Engineering's technical documentation site
Some of the tools and resources we will equip you with include:
- An on-boarding program that will provide hands-on experience with our platform, and the processes and technologies we use in the Engineering department.
- Personal Indie Time (dedicated time to build whatever you want with whomever you want) and annual hackathons that provide opportunities for growth and leadership, which are activities that inspire others and get creative juices flowing.
- Appian has a large engineering team where you are made to feel autonomous by our engineering business group model. Working within an agile team allows our engineers and leaders to have a sense of community and accomplishment.
- Preferred Experience Level: B.S. / M.S. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related experience.
- 1-2+ years of work experience in an application/product security role working with engineering teams
- Strong understanding of:
- Engineering security products and services
- Secure code review and penetration testing
- Familiarity with Application Security tooling
- Software security architecture
- Cloud and cloud native security
- Implementation and enhancement of DevSecOps
Before Appian was a company, it was an idea. Not about a product or a market, but about the culture needed to sustain innovation and value. Today, we help businesses build apps and workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform.
Appian was founded on the belief that talented and passionate people, given the power and autonomy to excel, will deliver amazing impact. We have worked thoughtfully to create an inclusive, agile and collaborative work environment where employees feel challenged, and all voices are heard. We value and encourage cross-departmental collaboration, and actively seek opportunities to better ourselves and others. Creating impact to us means that when we deliver results, we’re focused on lasting positive change.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination .
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at ReasonableAccommodations@appian.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.