Here at Appian, we’re passionate about technology. We love making it, and we love using it. Joining Appian Engineering will provide you with the opportunity to learn in an environment that values cross-functional collaboration and is committed to personal and professional growth. We want to revolutionize the way people work, and in doing so, we develop the Appian platform to be simple so our customers can thrive.
Appian’s Site Reliability Group is focused on driving the adoption of Site Reliability Engineering principles and practices at Appian, improving performance and reliability of mission-critical Appian services, and building tools to reduce toil and mean time to recovery. Our SRE group also builds and operates a global observability platform which monitors Appian deployments across all regions.
As a member of our centralized and dedicated SRE team, you will play a key role in integrating new tools and ideas to continuously develop and improve our best practices. The SREs on this team are responsible for working with our monitoring and observability tools, troubleshooting incidents, driving automation, and implementing preventative actions.
Appian is headquartered in the McLean, Virginia area, and we are supportive of both Remote and Hybrid work environments.
To be successful in this role, you need to have:
- Strong communication, negotiation, and collaboration skills; ability to convey complex, emergent, problems in a way that lets us focus on solving the root cause of the problem, rather than its symptoms.
- A proven ability to make difficult decisions about what to prioritize and what to ignore. You identify where you can make the most beneficial impact for our customers and continue working until that benefit has been achieved.
- Passion for adding data to our processes where it’s missing so that we can gain insight into where our problems are
- An analytical nature with an innate ability to understand and solve failures due to complex system interactions.
- An understanding of the value of open-source technologies, how they add capabilities that we would not want to build and maintain ourselves, and know how to get them deployed and adopted in a mature software development environment.
- Most importantly, you’re passionate about keeping the customers we have happy with our product!
How you’ll contribute:
- Support our customers, responding to escalation from our customer support department, so that customers are able to use our product fully at all times.
- Suggest and prioritize new services and tools we should introduce to streamline our customer support processes in order to meet our Service Level Agreements sustainably.
- Participate as a key team member, providing code reviews, feedback on designs, and mentoring junior developers.
- Be a strong individual contributor to software projects, implementing core aspects and providing feedback on their purpose, desired outcomes, and business impact
- Contribute to the definition of Service Level Agreements for critical services, driving adoption and helping squads meet those agreements sustainably.
- Align with feature squads and our customer support department to understand our customer needs and set appropriate expectations.
- Promote features and practices that strengthen and enable a culture of continuous improvement.
Some of the tools and resources we will equip you with include:
- Dedicated Learning Time. Over 3,000 LinkedIn Learning and Udemy courses, and tuition reimbursement for external educational programs.
- Engineering IndieTime & annual hackathons. We value activities that get the creative juices flowing and inspire innovation.
- Immersion into our community. Our affinity groups are a great place to connect and grow.
- Hybrid and flexible working hours.
- 3+ years experience as a Site Reliability Engineer, Software Engineer, or other DevOps based role
- Strong skills in programming and debugging a complex Java application deployed in an application server
- Familiarity with modern observability tools (Grafana, Prometheus, or equivalent)
Before Appian was a company, it was an idea. Not about a product or a market, but about the culture needed to sustain innovation and value. Today, we help businesses build apps and workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform.
Appian was founded on the belief that talented and passionate people, given the power and autonomy to excel, will deliver amazing impact. We have worked thoughtfully to create an inclusive, agile and collaborative work environment where employees feel challenged, and all voices are heard. We value and encourage cross-departmental collaboration, and actively seek opportunities to better ourselves and others. Creating impact to us means that when we deliver results, we’re focused on lasting positive change.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination .
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at ReasonableAccommodations@appian.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.