Here at Appian, we’re passionate about technology. We love making it, and we love using it. Joining Appian Engineering will provide you with the opportunity to learn in an environment that values cross-functional collaboration and is committed to personal and professional growth. We want to revolutionize the way people work, and in doing so, we develop the Appian platform to be simple so our customers can thrive.
We’re all about building awesome software, and we create an engineering experience to match. As a Mid - Senior Level Software Engineer on our Tools & Infrastructure Team, you will help drive the vision and execution for the fully automated build/test/deploy system that Appian uses to manage its software development. You will enable the next wave of our world-class infrastructure, ensuring that it is always available, responsive, and capable of meeting the diverse needs of a dynamic and high-powered development team. You will work directly with the development team to assess and prioritize the current and upcoming needs of the organization, design/build/deploy new automation for all aspects of our development lifecycle, and maintain, troubleshoot and fix issues that impede our team’s progress.
Appian is headquartered in the McLean, Virginia area, and we are supportive of both Remote and Hybrid work environments.
To be successful in this role, you need to:
- Be passionate about DevOps, Release Engineering, and trends including CI/CD
- Be proficient working in AWS and Windows, Mac, and Linux environments
- Have experience designing and building software or software systems in an enterprise software or Saas/Paas environment
- Have strong working knowledge of prevalent build and automation languages (Gradle, Maven, Ant, Python, Groovy)
- Have a strong knack for quickly learning complex technical concepts & Strong oral, written, and presentation skills
- Creating, configuring, and enhancing the tools we use to get things done (GitLab, Terraform, JIRA, Jenkins, GitHub) and our automated CI/CD pipeline
- Innovating, researching, and evaluating new technologies and tools
- Working collaboratively with cross-functional teams across Engineering and other departments
- Leveraging cutting edge technologies like Kubernetes, Docker, Ansible, and Terraform, and designing and building new features to increase product quality, decrease cycle time, and improve developer efficiency
- Becoming a master of our current product infrastructure
- Keeping automated infrastructure up-to-date as dependent technologies evolve and scale (JEE application servers, JDK, RDBMS)
- Automating every aspect of our development lifecycle and help us in our mission to achieve continuous delivery
- Creating new tools to increase departmental visibility into product quality, performance and releasability
- Being the advocate of the adoption of DevSecOps culture and mindset
Some of the tools and resources we will equip you with include:
- Dedicated Learning Time. Over 3,000 LinkedIn Learning and Udemy courses, and tuition reimbursement for external educational programs.
- Engineering IndieTime & annual hackathons. We value activities that get the creative juices flowing and inspire innovation.
- Immersion into our community. Our affinity groups are a great place to connect and grow.
- Hybrid and flexible working hours.
- Bachelors in Computer Science or Engineering
- MS in Computer Science or related field/degree and 1+ years of relevant experience, or a BS and 3+ years of relevant experience
- Fluency in at least one programming language, preferably Python and Java
Before Appian was a company, it was an idea. Not about a product or a market, but about the culture needed to sustain innovation and value. Today, we help businesses build apps and workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform.
Appian was founded on the belief that talented and passionate people, given the power and autonomy to excel, will deliver amazing impact. We have worked thoughtfully to create an inclusive, agile and collaborative work environment where employees feel challenged, and all voices are heard. We value and encourage cross-departmental collaboration, and actively seek opportunities to better ourselves and others. Creating impact to us means that when we deliver results, we’re focused on lasting positive change.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination .
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at ReasonableAccommodations@appian.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.