As a manager and an individual contributor working on our data backend, you will have the opportunity to build a high availability, distributed persistence technology which is able to autonomously scale based on usage patterns. You will work on solving complex problems around optimal resource utilization for both self-managed and cloud-native SaaS installations. You will employ deep knowledge of data structures, persistence and querying algorithms, functional and vector-oriented programming paradigms and distributed computing.
What is Appian? Appian is a low-code application platform for building powerful, enterprise-grade web and mobile apps with flexible, visual models instead of complex custom code. Appian Records provide a business-level data abstraction and a common query framework for unifying data sourced from disparate external systems. With your data in a central location, you can easily adjust your data model, define how users view your data, and integrate enterprise processes so users can take informed action when viewing the data. To power this common data store, Appian built a database engine designed to handle both OLTP and OLAP workloads and provide predictable and consistent performance across a variety of use cases.
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
- Working knowledge of database concepts, distributed systems, and cloud infrastructure
- Experience with or interest in learning about database internals, data persistence concepts like WAL and LSM trees, and streaming analytics
- Familiarity with or interest in learning the building blocks of columnar databases, query language design, and functional and vector-oriented programming
- Familiarity with container orchestration services, especially Kubernetes
- Ideally 5+ years of experience in Go, Java, Scala, or Rust
- 10+ years in software development, with 2+ years as a mentor or manager
- Individual contributor with 50% of time dedicated to development
- Hands on technical leadership and collaboration to grow and maintain Appian’s world-class platform through Agile methodologies and tools
- Effectively manage, develop, and guide up to 6 direct reports through mentoring and coaching
- Partner with the Talent Acquisition team to hire great talent and provide input for creating staffing plans with departmental leadership
- Perform HR management tasks related to each direct report; such as leave requests, performance reviews, and communication of raises and bonuses.