Here at Appian, we’re passionate about technology. We love making it, and we love using it. Joining Appian Engineering will provide you with the opportunity to learn in an environment that values cross-functional collaboration and is committed to personal and professional growth. We want to revolutionize the way people work, and in doing so, we develop the Appian platform to be simple so our customers can thrive.
As a Mid-Senior level Software Engineer working on our data backend, you will have the opportunity to build high availability, distributed environments which are able to autonomously scale up and down based on customers usage patterns. You will be solving problems of scale and flexibility that most engineers never see, building a product capable of serving our customers in ways you never imagined. Your mission will be to ensure Appian is always fast, scalable and up to whatever tasks our customers configure it to do. Your focus will be persistence and retrieval of data from various popular systems for use both internally and externally by customers.
Appian Records provide a business-level data abstraction and a common query framework for unifying data sourced from disparate external systems. With your data in a central location, you can easily adjust your data model, define how users view your data, and integrate enterprise processes so users can take informed action when viewing the data. To power this common data store, Appian built a database engine designed to handle both OLTP and OLAP workloads and provide predictable and consistent performance across a variety of use cases.
Appian is headquartered in the McLean, Virginia area, and we are supportive of both Remote and Hybrid work environments.
To be successful in this role, you need:
- Working knowledge of different persistence systems, distributed systems, and cloud infrastructure
- Experienced in designing and implementing performant, highly available and mission critical distributed systems
- Advanced knowledge of data structures and algorithms
- To leverage relevant software development experience to radiate best practices and faster development.
- Manage availability, latency, scalability and efficiency of the product by engineering reliability into software and systems.
- To share advanced/expert knowledge with others in the department, both on and off team; maintain a reputation as a key resource in those areas.
- Lead technological changes to keep the platform modern.
- Effective ability to communicate technical designs verbally, visually and/or in writing for small to medium sized technical audiences.
Some of the tools and resources we will equip you with include:
- Dedicated Learning Time. Over 3,000 LinkedIn Learning and Udemy courses, and tuition reimbursement for external educational programs.
- Engineering IndieTime & annual hackathons. We value activities that get the creative juices flowing and inspire innovation.
- Immersion into our community. Our affinity groups are a great place to connect and grow.
- Hybrid and flexible working hours.
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
Before Appian was a company, it was an idea. Not about a product or a market, but about the culture needed to sustain innovation and value. Today, we help businesses build apps and workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform.
Appian was founded on the belief that talented and passionate people, given the power and autonomy to excel, will deliver amazing impact. We have worked thoughtfully to create an inclusive, agile and collaborative work environment where employees feel challenged, and all voices are heard. We value and encourage cross-departmental collaboration, and actively seek opportunities to better ourselves and others. Creating impact to us means that when we deliver results, we’re focused on lasting positive change.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination .
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at ReasonableAccommodations@appian.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.