What is Appian?
Appian is a low-code application platform that lets businesses rapidly build powerful cloud and mobile apps with flexible, visual models instead of clunky custom code. Appian provides full stack automation, bots and AI workflows.
At Appian, we’re not only about building awesome software, but also about growing our culture of passion, energy and innovation; great people, great software!
About our Group:
Our group’s (Designer Simplicity) mission is to simplify the app design and development experience of our Designer tool. Appian Designer is used internally and by our customers to build powerful, user-friendly and enterprise-scale cloud-native and mobile applications. Our mission is to simplify the complex and make it even faster to build and maintain apps.
Our group’s work focuses on three key areas
- We are refreshing the Designer tool experience to better keep developers in the flow as they are developing an app
- We are making it easier to more quickly understand an application's functionality and components so that developers can make updates more rapidly
- We are improving the DevOps capabilities within Designer to empower development teams to build, test, deploy, and monitor applications quickly and confidently
Building an app development experience that satisfies power users as well as beginners is extremely challenging. We need smart, passionate and innovative engineers to help us continue to improve our app development capabilities and ensure they are intuitive, fast and flexible.
We work in a highly-collaborative environment with Product and Design to help make Appian developers more productive and efficient. We don’t just write code, we actively participate in conversations on how best to make the Appian low-code development experience more intuitive.
About this Role:
As a full-stack software engineer in our Designer Simplicity Group you will be helping to build the next generation of our Designer tool. Your work will span across all parts of our stack -- front and back-end. You will mentor and guide other engineers by reviewing their code and by being a sounding board to others. We work in small, decentralized teams, each with decision-making authority that gives us the freedom to choose our own approach in how we solve problems.
- Leverage knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and design patterns to write software in a full-stack Java & web technology environment, including but not limited to Gradle, JDBC, Hibernate, Spring, Kafka, Quartz, Messaging, Redis, Elasticsearch, Typescript, Redux and React
- Utilize both object-oriented as well as functional programming approaches in different technologies to implement features effectively
- Leverage relevant software development experience to radiate best practices and faster development
- Troubleshoot, investigate and diagnose incidents using a combination of tracing, alerting and log analysis
- Be a strong contributor to team feature breakdowns/sizing and design of new feature implementations
- Perform code reviews which provide feedback not only on code quality, but on design and implementation
- Seek to identify opportunities for code refactoring and performance optimizations on a regular basis and champion these efforts within the team
- You are an efficient and elegant coder, with 2+ years of strong experience
- You’re a tinkerer at heart with an innate ability to solve tough programming problems
- Agile is your mantra and quality is your goal
- You possess excellent written/verbal communication and presentation skills
- You hold a BS in Computer Science and/or equivalent years of relevant experience
About Us :
Appian helps organizations build apps and workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform. Combining people, technologies, and data in a single workflow, Appian can help companies maximize their resources and improve business results. Many of the world’s largest organizations use Appian applications to improve customer experience, achieve operational excellence, and simplify global risk management and compliance. Our employees create opportunities to drive hands-on impact both with our customers and throughout the organization, which creates an environment where meaningful work is met with career growth and opportunity. As a result, we are proud to have been recognized as a Washington Post Top Workplace for seven consecutive years. Simply put, we are changing the way businesses operate and our employees are to thank for Appian’s success.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination .
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at ReasonableAccommodations@appian.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.