What is Appian?
Appian is a low-code application platform that lets businesses rapidly build powerful cloud and mobile apps with flexible, visual models instead of clunky custom code. Appian provides full stack automation, bots and AI workflows.
At Appian, we’re not only about building awesome software, but also about growing our culture of passion, energy and innovation; great people, great software!
About our Group:
Our group’s (Designer Simplicity) mission is to simplify the app design and development experience of our Designer tool. Appian Designer is used internally and by our customers to build powerful, user-friendly and enterprise-scale cloud-native and mobile applications. Our mission is to simplify the complex and make it even faster to build and maintain apps.
Our group’s work focuses on three key areas
- We are refreshing the Designer tool experience to better keep developers in the flow as they are developing an app
- We are making it easier to more quickly understand an application's functionality and components so that developers can make updates more rapidly
- We are improving the DevOps capabilities within Designer to empower development teams to build, test, deploy, and monitor applications quickly and confidently
Building an app development experience that satisfies power users as well as beginners is extremely challenging. We need smart, passionate and innovative engineers to help us continue to improve our app development capabilities and ensure they are intuitive, fast and flexible.
We work in a highly-collaborative environment with Product and Design to help make Appian developers more productive and efficient. We don’t just write code, we actively participate in conversations on how best to make the Appian low-code development experience more intuitive.
About this Role:
Managers of Software Development provide technical leadership and are responsible for the professional growth and development of software engineers working. As an engineering manager, you will provide direct 1-on-1 mentoring and coaching to a small group of software engineers to improve their skills while also handling general HR responsibilities.
Engineering managers at Appian are servant leaders who enjoy helping others succeed. You will spend roughly 75% of your time as a developer (technical design, writing code, code reviews, etc.) and 25% managing your direct reports.
As a full-stack software engineer (roughly 75% of your time) in our Designer Simplicity Group you will be helping to build the next generation of our Designer tool. You will also help to plan and scope new features. Your work will span across all parts of our stack -- front and back-end. You will mentor and guide other engineers by reviewing their code and by being a sounding board to others. We work in small, decentralized teams, each with decision-making authority that gives us the freedom to choose our own approach in how we solve problems.
- Have a high degree of personal responsibility for the overall performance of the team, including capabilities, quality, stability and velocity
- Effectively manage up to 6 direct reports through mentoring and coaching
- Develop and guide the career paths of direct reports
- Be an agent for change, at both the team and departmental level
- Foster a culture of learning and growth
- Perform HR Management tasks related to each direct report
- Leverage knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and design patterns to write software in a full-stack Java & web technology environment, including but not limited to Gradle, JDBC, Hibernate, Spring, Kafka, Quartz, Messaging, Redis, Elasticsearch, Typescript, Redux and React
- Utilize both object-oriented as well as functional programming approaches in different technologies to implement features effectively
- Leverage relevant software development experience to radiate best practices and faster development
- Troubleshoot, investigate and diagnose incidents using a combination of tracing, alerting and log analysis
- Be a strong contributor to team feature breakdowns/sizing and design of new feature implementations
- Perform code reviews which provide feedback not only on code quality, but on design and implementation
- Seek to identify opportunities for code refactoring and performance optimizations on a regular basis and champion these efforts within the team
- You are an efficient and elegant coder, with 6+ years of strong experience
- You have 1+ years of experience as a mentor or manager
- You’re a tinkerer at heart with an innate ability to solve tough programming problems
- Agile is your mantra and quality is your goal
- You possess excellent written/verbal communication and presentation skills
- You care about fostering a culture of learning, growth and career development for software engineers
- You hold a BS in Computer Science and/or equivalent years of relevant experience