The Employment Counsel is responsible for the full life cycle of employment matters as well as handling other legal matters as needed for a fast-growing software company, reporting to Appian’s Deputy General Counsel. This position will be the primary legal resource for Human Resources to handle ongoing and newly arising employment matters. The Employment Counsel will collaborate with HR to review existing policies and practices to identify ways to help head off future disputes and implement best practices. The Employment Counsel will also be the day-to-day manager of any employment dispute litigation. Work with individuals in international offices before and after regular business hours may be required.
- Support and advise HR department on numerous aspects of day-to-day employment-related matters, including hiring and termination, claims of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation, requests for accommodations, and reviews and enforcement of restrictive covenants.
- Coordinate response to employment claims, including conducting investigation, responding to outside counsel, handling litigation, and negotiating favorable terms of resolution.
- Interface with outside counsel on litigation matters that may arise.
- Acquire and maintain familiarity with existing employment laws.
- Follow legislative and regulatory changes, and apply understanding of existing and emerging law to help mitigate risk in and improve existing policies and business processes.
- Review and advise on performance improvement plans and termination processes and general metrics for placement on plans.
- If assigned, research law and provide assistance on other legal matters, including compliance and commercial litigation matters.
- Juris Doctorate from a top-tier law school and active license to practice in at least one jurisdiction.
- 5+ years legal experience practicing employment law in a law firm or in-house (in-house experience in a technology company highly preferred).
- Litigation experience, especially in employment and commercial contexts.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Track record of successful negotiations of settlements and resolutions of employment matters.
- Experience partnering with and providing counsel to members of HR department at all levels.
- Sound business judgment.
- Detail oriented, analytical, and adept at solving complex legal problems.
- High degree of professionalism and integrity, with ability to communicate with employees at all levels of the organization and to handle confidential information appropriately.
Appian helps organizations build apps and workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform. Combining people, technologies, and data in a single workflow, Appian can help companies maximize their resources and improve business results. Many of the world’s largest organizations use Appian applications to improve customer experience, achieve operational excellence, and simplify global risk management and compliance. Our employees create opportunities to drive hands-on impact both with our customers and throughout the organization, which creates an environment where meaningful work is met with career growth and opportunity. As a result, we are proud to have been recognized as a Washington Post Top Workplace for seven consecutive years. Simply put, we are changing the way businesses operate and our employees are to thank for Appian’s success.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination .
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at ReasonableAccommodations@appian.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.