Here at Appian, we’re passionate about automation, speed, and efficiency; and the CIO department is a great place to apply these values! From Information Security, Business Technology, to Solution Engineering, joining Appian will provide you with the opportunity to lead technical strategy, execution and communication for all applications to support Appian employees, customers, and partners. Join us, as we work collaboratively to grow Appian across the world.
The Appian Solution Engineering team provides technical expertise to our customers around the globe, touching every layer of the Appian platform. From data analysis to creative problem solving, our Solution Engineers tackle the most challenging technical problems encountered by Appian customers and partners.
We are looking for a hands-on Manager with strong operational, leadership, communication and technical skills to lead a team of Solution Engineers. This role will mentor and support their team members, while ensuring they have the appropriate training and tools to be successful, and manage communications with other leadership teams on escalated cases. Additionally, this role will lead projects related to improving the customer experience. Such projects may be directly related to improving the Appian platform or may be related to the internal systems, tools and processes used by the Solution Engineering team.
This role is based at Appian's Headquarters in McLean, VA. Employees hired for this position will have the opportunity to work in a flexible, hybrid environment.
To be successful in this role, you will:
- Manage, develop and mentor a team of Solutions Engineers that are responsible for the maintenance, monitoring and incident response for Appian Cloud environments, and for providing technical support to customers across the development, deployment and production use of Appian platform and solutions.
- Use your subject matter expertise to provide proactive and reactive support to team members; while building best practices for technical troubleshooting, communication customer management, internal systems/tools and operating procedures.
- Create learning plans for your team team members based on department need and their unique professional development interests.
- Manage communications on escalated cases with internal and external stakeholders (customers, field/account teams, software engineering, senior management, etc)
- Identify opportunities to enhance systems and processes to improve the customer experience. Participate in evaluating, prioritizing and actioning these improvement projects.
- Identify macro trends/themes in customer product issues/pain and product supportability/documentation/training deficiencies. Communicate these, with proposals for improvement, to Solution Engineering & Software Engineering leadership.
- Assist with adding top talent to our team by participating in recruiting events and conducting candidate interviews.
- Foster a strong team environment focused on advanced technical knowledge, effective collaboration, customer service excellence and positive customer outcomes
Some of the tools and resources we will equip you with include:
- Days filled with unique and exciting challenges—everyday is different!
- Advancement opportunities across the organization to help you meet your career goals
- Appian product training, plus additional training programs to help you develop the skills required to be successful in your role
- Our team is rapidly growing, and with growth comes opportunity!
- Unlimited (flex) PTO, hybrid or remote working arrangement, and flexible working hours.
- Bachelor’s degree or similar professional work experience
- Demonstrated subject matter expertise with the Appian platform and related technologies
- Proven ability to coach and mentor technical staff
- 4-6+ years experience in a highly technical support role, preferably in a software environment with Java/J2EE troubleshooting experience
- Excellent problem solving skills and talent for identifying creative solutions
- Exceptional communication and customer service skills (verbal/written)
- Willing and able to provide after hours support (rotation every 12 or so weeks)
Nice to Have:
- Exposure to software environments with Java/J2EE troubleshooting experience
- Familiarity with database concepts (e.g., MySQL, Oracle, SQL Server)
- Foundation of basic network functions, standards, and protocols (e.g. proxies, SSL, load balancers, LDAP
Before Appian was a company, it was an idea. Not about a product or a market, but about the culture needed to sustain innovation and value. Today, we help businesses build apps and workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform.
Appian was founded on the belief that talented and passionate people, given the power and autonomy to excel, will deliver amazing impact. We have worked thoughtfully to create an inclusive, agile and collaborative work environment where employees feel challenged, and all voices are heard. We value and encourage cross-departmental collaboration, and actively seek opportunities to better ourselves and others. Creating impact to us means that when we deliver results, we’re focused on lasting positive change.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination .
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at ReasonableAccommodations@appian.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.