The best salespeople achieve the most when they are selling outstanding products, solutions, and services backed by an extraordinary company. That’s what you get when you sell for Appian. We are passionate about driving digital transformation by bringing Appian Solutions that provide speed, agility, and efficiency needed to compete and grow. Are you inspired by the chance to solve your customers’ biggest challenges? You can make that kind of difference here. Join our team, where you can not only grow your career, but share the success of an industry pioneer.
As the State & Local Government Solutions Business Development Director you will be responsible for driving adoption of Appian's industry-leading strategic sourcing and procurement solutions (Appian Government Acquisitions Management Suite) in the State & Local Government space.
The Appian Government Acquisitions Management Suite is a modern strategic sourcing and procurement solution specifically designed for Government agencies, and is the industry's only such solution built on a low-code intelligent automation platform, providing unprecedented flexibility and automation. In this role, you will have a unique opportunity to become a SME and evangelist for our growing suite of Appian Public Sector Solutions.
To be successful in this role, you need:
- Successfully drive business development for Appian's Government Acquisition Management Solutions by developing strategy and lead generation/prospecting in collaboration with Appian's sales teams
- To thrive as a State and Local Government procurement subject matter expert
- To be skilled in leveraging internal resources within the larger sales organization, cross functionally with the customer success team and externally across customer and partner ecosystems
- Strong presentation skills for delivering in-person and virtual presentations to LOB & IT audiences, highlighting your ability to perform client discovery, communicate ROI and build business value
- To excel as a trusted advisor to both customers and colleagues to leverage multiple stakeholders throughout complex sales deals
- Desire to actively seek to understand industry trends to help position against competitors
Some of the tools and resources we will equip you with include:
- Training: Start with Value, which is our 2 week training program focused on equipping our sales new hires with the skills and knowledge needed to be successful out in the field.
- Growth: Growth opportunities available through promotion and participation in different programs like Appian MBA, a development program devoted to shaping managers in the areas of leadership and communication.
- Product: Our Appian solution products are driving digital transformation in federal agencies, allowing our customers to increase staff productivity and improve program outcomes with a unified suite.
- Culture: You will directly contribute to our double-digit year over year growth backed by a world-class collaborative sales organization. In addition, Appian offers a competitive salary and generous benefits; including a flexible time off allowance and great perks. Read more about how our sales culture values openness, curiosity, and collaboration here .
- Extensive knowledge and experience of the State and Local procurement process, including best practices, regulations, stakeholder management, and system integrations, from initial requirement concept through contract execution and closeout.
- Preferably 10+ years of US State and Local government procurement experience
- Experience in, or strong knowledge of, navigating US State and Local sales cycles from start to finish
- Strong job tenure: history of displaying loyalty and perseverance through long, stable job tenure and positive career trajectory
- Experience in the role of state procurement officer or a history of successfully selling eProcurement Solutions/Case Management solutions is a plus
- Washington DC preferred, but open to remote US
Before Appian was a company, it was an idea. Not about a product or a market, but about the culture needed to sustain innovation and value. Today, we help businesses build apps and workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform.
Appian was founded on the belief that talented and passionate people, given the power and autonomy to excel, will deliver amazing impact. We have worked thoughtfully to create an inclusive, agile and collaborative work environment where employees feel challenged, and all voices are heard. We value and encourage cross-departmental collaboration, and actively seek opportunities to better ourselves and others. Creating impact to us means that when we deliver results, we’re focused on lasting positive change.