Manager, Software Development
Here at Appian, we’re passionate about technology. We love making it, and we love using it. Joining Appian Engineering will provide you with the opportunity to learn in an environment that values cross-functional collaboration and is committed to personal and professional growth. We want to revolutionise the way people work, and in doing so, we develop the Appian platform to be simple so our customers can thrive.
Managers of Software Development provide technical leadership in a specific area of the product and are responsible for the professional growth and development of engineers working in that area. As an engineering manager, they provide direct 1-on-1 mentoring and coaching to a small group of junior software engineers to improve their technical skills while also handling general HR management responsibilities. Managers also work directly on teams and act as servants/leaders who should enjoy helping their group succeed. They spend roughly 75% of their time as a developer (technical design, writing code, code reviews, etc.) and 25% managing direct reports.
To be successful in this role, you will:
- Design and implement code that connects highly available and mission critical interoperable systems
- Produce secure and robust code in a functional programming language
- Be a hands on technical leader and collaborator to grow and maintain Appian’s world-class platform through Agile methodologies and tools
- Have deep technical understanding in a specific technology layer or area of the product, providing effective code reviews and technical feedback
- Develop and guide the career path of direct reports; provide input to create staffing plans with departmental leadership
- Have an interest in learning to effectively code in the K programming language
- BE/B.Tech/B.S. in Computer Science or related field, advanced degree preferred.
- 10+ years in software development.
- 3+ years as a mentor or manager
About Appian :
Before Appian was a company, it was an idea. Not about a product or a market, but about the culture needed to sustain innovation and value. Today, we help businesses build apps and workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform.
Appian was founded on the belief that talented and passionate people, given the power and autonomy to excel, will deliver amazing impact. We have worked thoughtfully to create an inclusive, agile and collaborative work environment where employees feel challenged, and all voices are heard. We value and encourage cross-departmental collaboration, and actively seek opportunities to better ourselves and others. Creating impact to us means that when we deliver results, we’re focused on lasting positive change.