Principal Software Engineer/Technical Architect
Here at Appian, we’re passionate about technology. We love making it, and we love using it. Joining Appian Engineering will provide you with the opportunity to learn in an environment that values cross-functional collaboration and is committed to personal and professional growth. We want to revolutionise the way people work, and in doing so, we develop the Appian platform to be simple so our customers can thrive.
As a Principal Software Engineer at Appian Chennai, you have the intuition and knowledge to tackle the most complex engineering challenges across the full stack of the Appian platform. You are a reference to other engineers as a member of feature teams and a trusted advisor to the architecture and product management functions.
To be successful in this role, you need to:
- Be an expert at architecting and building complex multi-tiered applications
- Create or help create technical roadmaps that align with the product roadmaps.
- Spike robust solutions to clear architectural runway ahead of feature development.
- Have a high degree of personal responsibility for the overall performance of the team, including capabilities, quality, stability and velocity; and for cross-team technical alignment.
- Perform code reviews which provide feedback not only on code quality, but on design and implementation.
- Seek to identify opportunities for code refactoring and performance optimizations on a regular basis and champion these efforts within the team.
- Be a final decision-maker for debated technical choices.
- Mentor & share advanced/expert knowledge and best practices with others in the department, both on and off team; maintain a reputation as a key resource in those areas.
- Identify technical constraints, dependencies, and misalignment to engineering effectiveness and lead initiatives to address them.
- Advise product management on technical opportunities and constraints.
- Collaborate with architects to promote consistency of the platform, inspire design discipline, and continuously advance the state of Appian’s technology.
- Identify, understand, and bring to fruition technology trends and innovations relevant to Appian.
- Effectively communicate technical designs verbally, visually, and/or in writing for small to large sized technical audiences.
- Contribute to Appian's long-term documentation through publishing relevant, high-quality content to Engineering's technical documentation site.
- 10-15+ years experience architecting, designing, building and delivering enterprise grade software applications
- BE/B.Tech/BS in Computer Science and/or equivalent years of experience
- MS in Computer Science and/or equivalent years of experience
- Deep understanding of systems, algorithms, OO design, Microservices, AWS and REST API design
About Appian :
Before Appian was a company, it was an idea. Not about a product or a market, but about the culture needed to sustain innovation and value. Today, we help businesses build apps and workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform.
Appian was founded on the belief that talented and passionate people, given the power and autonomy to excel, will deliver amazing impact. We have worked thoughtfully to create an inclusive, agile and collaborative work environment where employees feel challenged, and all voices are heard. We value and encourage cross-departmental collaboration, and actively seek opportunities to better ourselves and others. Creating impact to us means that when we deliver results, we’re focused on lasting positive change.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination .
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at ReasonableAccommodations@appian.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.