Principal Software Engineer - SRE (ISR)
At Appian, we’re not only about building awesome software, but also about growing our culture of passion, energy, and innovation; great people, great software! As a Senior Site Reliability Engineer at Appian, you will apply software engineering solutions to operational problems and drive the resolution of customer escalations, working closely with our product and support teams, and drive changes that will improve our organisation overall.
- You have 12+ years experience as a Site Reliability engineer or Software Engineer or other DevOps based role and either a BS in Computer Science, or a related field, or MS in Computer Science, or a related field.
- Strong skills in programming and debugging a complex Java application deployed in an application server
- You have strong communication, negotiation, and collaboration skills; ability to convey complex, emergent, problems in a way that lets us focus on solving the root cause of the problem, rather than its symptoms.
- You have a proven ability to make difficult decisions about what to prioritize and what to ignore. You identify where you can make the most beneficial impact for our customers and continue working until that benefit has been achieved.
- You’re passionate about adding data to our processes where it’s missing so that we can gain insight in to where our problems are
- Familiarity with modern observability tools (Grafana, Prometheus, or equivalent)
- You’re analytical by nature with an innate ability to understand and solve failures due to complex system interactions.
- You understand the value of open-source technologies, how they add capabilities that we would not want to build and maintain ourselves, and know how to get them deployed and adopted in a mature software development environment.
- Most importantly, you’re passionate about keeping the customers we have happy with our product!
How you’ll contribute:
- Support our customers, responding to escalation from our customer support department, so that customers are able to use our product fully at all times.
- Suggest and prioritize new services and tools we should introduce to streamline our customer support processes in order to meet our Service Level Agreements sustainably.
- Participate as a key team member, providing code reviews, feedback on designs, and mentoring junior developers.
- Be a strong contributor to software projects, implementing core aspects and providing feedback on their purpose, desired outcomes, and business impact
- Contribute to the definition of Service Level Agreements for critical services, driving adoption and helping squads meet those agreements sustainably.
- Align with feature squads and our customer support department to understand our customer needs and set appropriate expectations.
- Promote features and practices that strengthen and enable a culture of continuous improvement.
Preferred Experience Level:
10+ years of relevant experience, preferably in a Site Reliability or DevOps role with a M.S.
12+ years of relevant experience, preferably in a Site Reliability or DevOps role with a B.S.
BE/B.Tech/B.S. in Computer Science, or a related field, M.S. preferred
Before Appian was a company, it was an idea. Not about a product or a market, but about the culture needed to sustain innovation and value. Today, we help businesses build apps and workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform. Appian was founded on the belief that talented and passionate people, given the power and autonomy to excel, will deliver amazing impact. We have worked thoughtfully to create an inclusive, agile and collaborative work environment where employees feel challenged, and all voices are heard. We value and encourage cross-departmental collaboration, and actively seek opportunities to better ourselves and others. Creating impact to us means that when we deliver results, we’re focused on lasting positive change.