At Appian, we’re not only about building awesome software, but also about growing our culture of passion, energy, and innovation; great people, great software! As a Manager of Software Development, you’ll provide technical leadership to aid in the professional growth and development of our engineers. You’ll play an integral role in helping your group succeed in making our department as productive as it can! Expect to spend around a third of your time managing direct reports, and the rest as a developer (technical design, writing code, code reviews, etc.).
This position will be specifically internally focused -- with strong customer implications -- responsible for the core services and deployment infrastructure on which the Appian platform runs. This position is for you if you have experience with or a passion for the following: all things testing, developing and fine tuning builds and pipelines, being a force multiplier within your organization. If you are interested in making all the engineers right around you the happiest, most efficient and productive version of themselves, this role is perfect for you!
- Leverage knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and design patterns to write software.
- Leverage relevant software development experience to drive development, testing, build, and release best practices on your team and across the department.
- Develop a solid technical understanding in one or more of the products that our group owns.
- Contribute to technical design and architectural vision as well as provide effective code reviews and technical feedback.
- Effectively manage up to 6 direct reports through mentoring and coaching.
- Develop and guide the career paths of direct reports.
- Be an active participant in team discussions and collaboratively work with others to design features and create delivery plans.
- Provide input to create staffing plans with departmental leadership.
- Be an agent for change, at both the team and departmental level.
- Foster a culture of learning and growth.
- Perform HR Management tasks related to each direct report; such as expense report approval, communication of raises and bonuses, performance reviews, etc.
Preferred Experience Level : 6+ years in software development, with 1+ years as a mentor or manager
Education: B.S. in Computer Science or related field, advanced degree preferred
Appian helps organizations build apps and workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform. Combining people, technologies, and data in a single workflow, Appian can help companies maximize their resources and improve business results. Many of the world’s largest organizations use Appian applications to improve customer experience, achieve operational excellence, and simplify global risk management and compliance. Our employees create opportunities to drive hands-on impact both with our customers and throughout the organization, which creates an environment where meaningful work is met with career growth and opportunity. As a result, we are proud to have been recognized as a Washington Post Top Workplace for seven consecutive years. Simply put, we are changing the way businesses operate and our employees are to thank for Appian’s success.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination .
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at ReasonableAccommodations@appian.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.