Here at Appian, we’re passionate about technology. We love making it, and we love using it. Joining Appian Engineering will provide you with the opportunity to learn in an environment that values cross-functional collaboration and is committed to personal and professional growth. We want to revolutionize the way people work, and in doing so, we develop the Appian platform to be simple so our customers can thrive.
As a Principal Software Engineer within Appian’s Cognitive Automation Group, you will lead the expansion and evolution of our machine learning (ML) services and ML Ops practices. You have the intuition and knowledge to tackle the most complex engineering challenges across the full stack of the Appian platform. You are a reference to other engineers as a member of feature teams and a trusted advisor to the architecture and product management functions.
Appian is headquartered in the McLean, Virginia area, and we are supportive of both Remote and Hybrid work environments.
To be successful in this role, you need to:
- Be an expert extensive at architecting and building complex multi-tiered applications in AWS
- Create or help create technical roadmaps that align with the product roadmaps.
- Spike robust solutions to clear architectural runway ahead of feature development.
- Have a high degree of personal responsibility for the overall performance of the team, including capabilities, quality, stability and velocity; and for cross-team technical alignment.
- Perform code reviews which provide feedback not only on code quality, but on design and implementation.
- Seek to identify opportunities for code refactoring and performance optimizations on a regular basis and champion these efforts within the team.
- Be a final decision-maker for debated technical choices.
- Mentor & share advanced/expert knowledge and best practices with others in the department, both on and off team; maintain a reputation as a key resource in those areas.
- Identify technical constraints, dependencies, and misalignment to engineering effectiveness and lead initiatives to address them.
- Advise product management on technical opportunities and constraints.
- Collaborate with architects to promote consistency of the platform, inspire design discipline, and continuously advance the state of Appian’s technology.
- Identify, understand, and bring to fruition technology trends and innovations relevant to Appian.
- Effectively communicate technical designs verbally, visually, and/or in writing for small to large sized technical audiences.
- Contribute to Appian's long-term documentation through publishing relevant, high-quality content to Engineering's technical documentation site
Some of the tools and resources we will equip you with include:
- Access to over 1,000+ Udemy course, along with dedicated learning time to focus on areas you specifically would like to focus on as a programmer
- An agile-led work environment where you will be challenged and your ideas will be heard
Preferred Experience Level:
- 10+ years experience building and delivering enterprise grade software applications
- BS in Computer Science and/or equivalent years of experience writing code in a modern programming language
- Deep understanding of systems, algorithms, OO design, Microservices, AWS and REST API design.
Before Appian was a company, it was an idea. Not about a product or a market, but about the culture needed to sustain innovation and value. Today, we help businesses build apps and workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform.
Appian was founded on the belief that talented and passionate people, given the power and autonomy to excel, will deliver amazing impact. We have worked thoughtfully to create an inclusive, agile and collaborative work environment where employees feel challenged, and all voices are heard. We value and encourage cross-departmental collaboration, and actively seek opportunities to better ourselves and others. Creating impact to us means that when we deliver results, we’re focused on lasting positive change.