Here at Appian, we’re passionate about technology. We love making it, and we love using it. Joining Appian Engineering will provide you with the opportunity to learn in an environment that values cross-functional collaboration and is committed to personal and professional growth. We want to revolutionise the way people work, and in doing so, we develop the Appian platform to be simple so our customers can thrive.
Managers of Software Development provide technical leadership in a specific area of the product and are responsible for the professional growth and development of engineers working in that area. As an engineering manager, they provide direct 1-on-1 mentoring and coaching to a small group of junior software engineers to improve their technical skills while also handling general HR management responsibilities. Managers also work directly on teams and act as servants/leaders who should enjoy helping their group succeed. They spend roughly 75% of their time as a developer (technical design, writing code, code reviews, etc.) and 25% managing direct reports.
To be successful in this role, you will:
- You're passionate about software engineering and software quality and leveraging new technology and frameworks to achieve high quality goals through test automation.
- You constantly seek opportunities around automation and you're inherently proactive about staying abreast on emerging test tooling and technologies.
- You are a software engineer skilled in software design and writing maintainable code
To be successful in this role, you will:
- You’re a tinkerer at heart with an innate ability to solve tough system problems
- Develop end to end strategy for Designing and Developing Automation Frameworks and Infrastructure.
- Define requirements and coordinate with test framework owners and release operations teams
- Design and Develop automated tests from scratch or on top of existing manual testing plans.
- Develop system level regression and smoke tests that focus on the system as a whole.
- Train teams on the use and extension of the test frameworks and related tools to scale the use of the test infrastructure across Engineering
- Provide assistance/guidance to the quality engineering team on use of technologies to solve testing problems
- There are 4 primary roles you'll move between:
⁃ Defining, designing, developing, maintaining, extending test automation infrastructure, frameworks, and processes.
⁃ Working with teams to build automated test frameworks, infrastructure and test cases in support of their missions.
⁃ Automation of tests focused on the entire breadth of the product for release quality validation.
⁃ Working together with other stakeholders to design the strategies in quality verification and test management.
- You can utilise both object-oriented as well as functional programming approaches in different technologies to implement features effectively.
- Leverage relevant software development experience to radiate best practices and faster development
- Manage availability, latency, scalability and efficiency of the product by designing reliability into software and systems
- Have a high degree of personal responsibility for the overall performance of the team, including capabilities, quality, stability and velocity
- Seek to identify opportunities for code refactoring and performance optimisations on a regular basis and champion these efforts within the team
- Effectively communicate technical designs verbally and/or in writing for small to medium sized technical audiences.
- Develop maintainable automated tests using frameworks like WebDriver, FitNesse, Locust, Jmeter, BrowserStack, Appium, Selenium.
- Builds custom applications for testing as necessary in languages like Java or Python.
- Experience with Linux, bash, and general automation infrastructure is a plus.
- B.S. in Computer Science or related field, advanced degree preferred.
- 10+ years in software development.
- 3+ years as a mentor or manager
- Agile is your mantra and quality is your goal.
Before Appian was a company, it was an idea. Not about a product or a market, but about the culture needed to sustain innovation and value. Today, we help businesses build apps and workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform.
Appian was founded on the belief that talented and passionate people, given the power and autonomy to excel, will deliver amazing impact. We have worked thoughtfully to create an inclusive, agile and collaborative work environment where employees feel challenged, and all voices are heard. We value and encourage cross-departmental collaboration, and actively seek opportunities to better ourselves and others. Creating impact to us means that when we deliver results, we’re focused on lasting positive change.